A blog reader recently wrote an email and shared his frustration at being stuck in a corporate job and hating it, but not knowing how to begin a new business in a new field.
To answer this question, I outlined a number of steps you can take to go from vague and fuzzy idea to concrete business concept, highlighted here:
- Step 1: Wrap your arms around the field. Learn as much as you can about all the ways this field is expressed in business, so that you know which area to focus on.
- Step 2: Choose a small "neighborhood" to explore. Once you see all the different possibilities in the field, choose a particular area of interest.
- Step 3: Identify the hotshots that are doing the work successfully. These should be people who not only have technical expertise that you admire, but also complimentary values and thriving businesses.
- Step 4: Carve a niche. Choose a particular area to work in that represents your best work, and a particular group of people to work with that would energize and engage you (and would pay you -- we are talking about a viable business!)
- Step 5: Shake a tree. Get moving with a marketing plan, selling services and meeting with potential customers.
If you break things into steps and deal with one at a time, the prospect of entering a new field won't be so overwhelming.
Please share your thoughts on this topic, and what has worked, or not worked, in your own businesses at www.escapefromcubiclenation.com